Show-Me Careers Educator Experience
Show-Me Careers is a five-day career professional development boot camp for educators, counselors and administrators to learn firsthand about relevant career pathways in today’s business and industry settings. Delivered in select regions of the state, the program provides a unique, hands-on learning experience inside local companies. Through these externship experiences, education professionals gain a more robust understanding of the technical skills, behaviors and mindsets students need to be successful in today’s professional environments.
The program was developed in partnership with the St. Louis Regional Business Council and has been endorsed by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
Goals and Objectives
The objective of Show-Me Careers is to expose students to good career opportunities by bringing influential middle school and high school educators, counselors and administrators into advanced manufacturing, technology, health care and other targeted industries where shortages can be identified. The initiative assists educators in producing lesson plans that can be presented to students following the program during the subsequent school year. By providing this experience to educators and counselors each year, the programs aims to reach more than 5,000 students annually with new career opportunities that will help narrow the skills gap.
2020 Program Overview
- Up to 40 educators, school counselors and administrators will be selected to participate per regional program
- A stipend of $400 will be provided to each professional that completes the program
- All materials, meals and travel to the industry partners will be provided to the participants as part of the program
- Participant applications are due February 15, 2020.
- Participant feedback on the overarching program framework, curriculum and overall experience will be sought to help improve future programs.
Expectations & Outcomes
- Commit to attend the full week of programming during the summer, as well as attend four, 3-hour follow-up cohort connector meetings scheduled during the 2020-21 school year.
- Gain an increased awareness of industry trends and occupational pathways in their region.
- Gain understanding of the variations between entry level, middle-skills and advanced professional jobs in targeted industry sectors.
- Take part in an interactive peer-to-peer network (cohort) for future collaboration, as well as connections to community resources and industry partners.
- Develop lesson plans and career pathway materials and larger systems strategies during the course of the week-long program that they can utilize in their classrooms and counseling offices and at the administration levels.
Please select your region below to learn more and apply.
St. Louis June 1-5, 2020
Cape Girardeau June 8-12, 2020
Kansas City (Dates TBD)
Columbia (Dates TBD)
The program consists of industry tours, activities, discussions and training to familiarize education professionals with opportunities local employers provide and the academic pathways to achieve these opportunities. Tours range from bio-life science research and production firms to advanced manufacturing operations to health care facilities and beyond. In addition to the tours, participants will also be trained to create lesson plans to bring their experiences to life in the classroom. An example of last year’s agenda can be found here.
The Missouri Chamber Foundation will also work with districts toward qualifying this experience for continuing learning credits. The Missouri Chamber Foundation’s pre- and post-program surveys will measure the effectiveness of the program. Utilizing its strong partnership with the local community colleges and the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Missouri Chamber Foundation will work to track increases in enrollment to two-year colleges, technical schools and pre-employment training programs from the participating school districts.
Thank you to our generous sponsors
Our supporting business partners
BJC Health Care
Missouri American Water
The Boeing Company
World Wide Technology
Millpore Sigma Aldrich