Show-Me Careers Educator Experience
Show-Me Careers is a five-day career professional development boot camp for educators/counselors in St. Louis school districts. The program provides a unique, hands-on learning experience inside local employers. Through these experiences, educators gain a more robust understanding of the technical skills, behaviors and mindsets students need to be successful in today’s professional environments.
The program is conducted in partnership with the St. Louis Regional Business Council, STEMpact, The Boeing Company and the Missouri Chamber Foundation.
Goals and Objectives
The objective of Show-Me Careers is to expose St. Louis-area students to good career opportunities by bringing influential middle school and high school educators and counselors into advanced manufacturing, technology, health care and other targeted industries where shortages can be identified. The initiative assists educators in producing lesson plans that can be presented to students following the program during the subsequent school year. By providing this experience to educators and counselors each year, the Missouri Chamber Foundation aims to reach more than 5,000 students annually with new career opportunities that will help narrow the skills gap, especially in urban St. Louis school districts.
2019 Program: June 3-7
- Up to 40 educators, school counselors and administrators will be selected
- A stipend of $400 will be provided to each professional that completes the program
- All materials, meals and travel to the industry partners will be provided to the participants as part of the program
- Partner school districts agree to participate by Dec 15, 2018. Individual applications are due by February 15, 2019.
- Participant feedback on the overarching program framework, curriculum and overall experience will be sought to help improve future programs.
Expectations & Outcomes
- Commit to attend the full week of programming June 3-7, 2019, as well as attend four, 3-hour follow-up cohort connector meetings scheduled during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Gain an increased awareness of industry trends and occupational pathways in the St. Louis region.
- Gain understanding of the variations between entry level, middle-skills and advanced professional jobs in targeted industry sectors.
- Develop an interactive peer-to-peer network for future collaboration, as well as connections to community resources and industry partners.
- Develop lesson plans and career pathway materials during the course of the week-long program that they can utilize in their classrooms and counseling offices.
The program consists of industry tours, activities, discussions and training to familiarize educators with opportunities local employers provide and the academic pathways to achieve these opportunities. Tours range from bio-tech manufacturing firms to advanced manufacturing operations to health care facilities. In addition to the tours, educators will also be trained to create lesson plans to bring their experiences to life in the classroom. An overview of last year’s agenda can be found here.
The Missouri Chamber Foundation will also work toward qualifying this experience for continuing learning credits. The Missouri Chamber Foundation’s pre- and post-program surveys will measure the effectiveness of the program. Utilizing its strong partnership with the local St. Louis community colleges, the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and the Missouri Department of Higher Education, the Missouri Chamber Foundation will work to track increases in enrollment to two-year colleges, technical schools and pre-employment training programs from the participating school districts.
Educators: To apply for the Show-Me Careers Educator Experience, click here.
Download the 2019 program flyer here.
Upcoming Catalyst Connections: Year 1 (2018) Cohort
Sept. 20, 2018
Danforth Plant Life Science Center
975 N. Warson Rd.
St. Louis MO 63132 – MAP
Nov. 15, 2018 Date changed! Dec. 6, 2018
Ranken Technical College
4431 Finney Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63113 – MAP
Jan. 24, 2019
Regional Business Council – St. Louis
7701 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105 – MAP
March 21, 2019
Cortex Innovation Community – The District
4320 Forest Park Ave. Suite 201
St. Louis, MO 63108 – MAP
Download the full schedule PDF here.
Thank you to our generous sponsors
Our supporting business partners and collaborators
|World Wide Technology||Spire||BJC Health Care|
|Koller Enterprises||Pfizer||St. Louis Community College|
|Danforth Plant Science Center||Ranken Technical College||National Alliance for Partnership in Equity (NAPE)|
|Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education||Missouri Department of Higher Education||Missouri Division of Workforce Development|
|Francis Howell School District||Jennings School District||Normandy School District|
|Pattonville School District||Parkway School District||St. Louis Public Schools|