MEDIA ADVISORY – Students, teachers, business leaders to rally Thursday in support of math and science education
Boeing F-18 flight simulator and AT&T virtual visor system available for students and guests
Hundreds of students and education supporters will rally at the Missouri Capitol on Thursday in a celebration of the state’s growing math and science efforts. Education leaders will also call for even greater focus on preparing our students for the high tech economy of the future. Missouri Chamber members Boeing and AT&T will provide hands-on technology for students and guests. A Boeing F-18 flight simulator and AT&T virtual visor system will be available.
The 2016 Missouri STEM Day at the Capitol will kick off in the first floor rotunda at 9:00 a.m. with opening remarks from Brian Crouse, executive director of the Missouri Mathematics and Science Coalition, Lt. Gov. Peter Kinder, Dr. Margie Vandeven, commissioner of the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, and Sheila Boyington, National State Chair, Million Women Mentors ®.
At noon, students will compete for The Capitol Cup in a FIRST Lego League Robotics Challenge.
All reporters are invited to attend any portion of the day’s agenda. (Full agenda attached.)
The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry is a strong supporter of science and math education in Missouri. Through the Missouri Chamber Foundation, the chamber engages businesses and education leaders statewide to help ensure Missouri’s students are prepared to enter tomorrow’s workforce.
“Missouri STEM Day is one of the most enjoyable events that happen during the legislative session. It showcases of some of our state’s brightest students and it’s a reminder of the importance of math and science education,” said Daniel P. Mehan, Missouri Chamber president and CEO. “We bring this to the capitol each year to help remind our policymakers about the amazing things happening in our classrooms. We want to ensure this work is not forgotten during the budget-making process.”
2016 Missouri STEM Day at the Capitol
Thursday, March 3rd 2016 – 9:00am to 1:00pm AGENDA
9:00am – 9:30am
Welcome and Opening Remarks– 1st Floor Rotunda
• Brian E. Crouse, VP of Education, Missouri Chamber of Commerce & Industry
• Presentation of Resolution on Supporting Women in STEM
• Peter Kinder, Lieutenant Governor
• Sheila Boyington, National State Chair, Million Women Mentors ®
• Dr. Margie Vandeven, Commissioner, Dept. of Elementary Education
• Brendan Cossette, Chief of Operations, Missouri Chamber of Commerce & Industry
9:30am – 10:00am Legislator Connection Reception- 3rd Floor Rotunda
• Donuts and refreshments will be provided
10:00am – 11:00am
Student Introductions in House and Senate Chambers– 4th Floor Gallery Entrances
• Rep. Clem Smith & Sen. Wayne Wallingford
9:30am – 1:00pm
General Science Display Time– 3rd Floor Rotunda
• K-12 and university students and faculty will demonstrate and display their science projects and research and showcase programs that their schools are working with.
• Special displays by AT&T and Boeing will be available inside in the 3rd floor rotunda for students and guest to participate in.
12:00pm – 1:00pm
FIRST LEGO® LEAGUE Robotics Challenge– The Capitol Cup – 3rd Floor Rotunda- Senate Side
The Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry is the largest business association in Missouri. Together, with the Missouri Chamber Federation, the Missouri Chamber represents more than 50,000 employers.