St. Louis Show-Me Careers Educator Experience
Show-Me Careers is a five-day career professional development boot camp for educators, counselors and administrators to learn firsthand about relevant career pathways in today’s business and industry settings. First piloted in St. Louis in 2018, the program provides a unique, hands-on learning experience inside local employers. Through these externship experiences, education professionals gain a more robust understanding of the technical skills, behaviors and mindsets students need to be successful in today’s professional environments.
The St. Louis program is developed in partnership with the St. Louis Regional Business Council (RBC) and has been endorsed by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
Goals and Objectives
The objective of Show-Me Careers is to expose St. Louis-area students to good career opportunities by bringing influential middle and high school educators, counselors and administrators into advanced manufacturing, technology, health care and other targeted industries where shortages can be identified. The initiative assists educators in producing lesson plans that can be presented to students following the program during the subsequent school year. The program aims to reach more than 5,000 students annually with new career opportunities that will help narrow the skills gap, especially in urban St. Louis school districts.
2020 St. Louis Area Program: June 1-5, 2020
- Up to 40 educators, school counselors and administrators will be selected throughout the St. Louis region
- A stipend of $400 will be provided to each professional that completes the program
- All materials, meals and travel to the industry partners will be provided to the participants as part of the program
- Partner school districts agree to participate and direct by Dec 15, 2019. See below for current program partners.
- Applications are due by February 15, 2020.
- Participant feedback on the overarching program framework, curriculum and overall experience will be sought to help improve future programs.
- Take part in an interactive peer-to-peer “Catalyst Connectors” for future collaboration four times during the 2020-2021 school year.
Download the 2020 program flyer here.
Upcoming Catalyst Connections: Year 2 (2019) Cohort
Thursday, Sept. 26
World Wide Technology – Tech Campus
60 Weldon Parkway
St. Louis, MO 63043 – MAP
Thursday, Oct. 24
North Tech High School
1700 Derhake Road
Florissant, MO 63033 – MAP
Thursday, Jan. 23
Millipore — Aldrich Corporation
2909 Laclede Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63103 – MAP
Thursday, Feb. 27
Regional Business Council — St. Louis
7701 Forsyth Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63105 – MAP
Download the 2019 Catalyst Connections schedule PDF here.
Thank you to our generous sponsors
Our supporting St. Louis business partners
BJC Health Care
Missouri American Water
The Boeing Company
World Wide Technology
Millpore Sigma Aldrich
St. Louis Community Collaborators
Cortex Innovation District
Danforth Plant Life Science Center
Ranken Technical College
St. Louis Community College – Forest Park
National Alliance for Partnership In Equity (NAPE)
St. Louis CC — Workforce Solutions Group
St. Louis Regional Chamber of Commerce
St. Louis Science Center Taylor Center
St. Louis Carpenters Apprenticeship Program
Missouri Department of Higher Education
STL STEM Ecosystem
St. Louis School Partners
Affton School District
St. Louis Public Schools
Francis Howell School District
Jennings School District
Normandy School District
St. Charles CAPS PRogram
Parkway School District
Ritenour School District
Ladue School District
University City School District
Webster Groves School District