Kansas City Show-Me Careers Educator Experience — Now In Virtual!
COVID-19 Related Update: Due to the nature of the COVID-19 crisis, we have decided to shift from an in-person program for this summer to a virtual delivery. We will operate using a virtual platform on the below dates as originally planned.
Show-Me Careers is a professional development boot camp for educators, counselors and administrators to learn firsthand about relevant career pathways in today’s business and industry settings. The program provides a unique, hands-on learning experience inside local employers for one week in the summer. Through these externship experiences, education professionals gain a more robust understanding of the technical skills, behaviors and mindsets students need to be successful in today’s professional environments. The cohorts will reconnect 4 times during the academic year to learn about new industries, occupational pathways, resources and have opportunities for peer-to-peer learning.
Piloted in St. Louis in 2018 with the help of the Regional Business Council, Show Me Careers is expanding to Kansas City in 2020 through a partnership with the Kauffman Foundation. With this new partnership, Show Me Careers will be a bi-state effort working to align with the Real World Learning (RWL) initiative and other regional efforts in place.
Goals and Objectives
The objective of Show-Me Careers is to expose Kansas City area students to good career opportunities by bringing influential middle and high school educators, counselors and administrators into advanced manufacturing, health care systems, transportation and logistics and other targeted industries strengths of the Kansas City region. Working in partnership with the Kauffman Foundation, the initiative assists education professionals engaged with the Real World Learning model by bringing experiences and support to the work that districts are involved with centered around career pathway and work based learning. By providing this experience to educators, counselors and administrators each year, the program aims to reach thousands of students annually with new career opportunities that will help narrow the skills gap.
Kansas City metro area program dates:
June 15-19, 2020 — VIRTUAL DELIVERY
- Up to 40 educators, school counselors and administrators will be selected to participate throughout the Kansas City Metro region
- A stipend of $1,000 will be provided to each professional that completes the program and the Client Project during the 2020-2021 school year
- All materials, meals and travel to the industry partners will be provided to the participants as part of the program
- RWL District Teams (4-5 members) submit application
- Take part in an interactive peer-to-peer brainstorming sessions for future collaboration four times during the 2020-2021 school year
- Develop and perform a Client Connected Project during the 2020-2021 school year
- Participant feedback on the overarching program framework, curriculum and overall experience will be sought to help improve future programs
CATALYST CONNECTIONS YEAR 1 (2020) KC COHORT DETAILS
Thursday, September 3, 2020
Thursday, October 1, 2020
Thursday, February 4, 2021
Thursday, March 4, 2021
The below is the basic framework for each connector meeting, but it will change slightly based upon host location.
4:00pm- Welcome and Networking
4:30pm- Tour Facility, Presentations and/or Activities
6:00pm- Dedicated Cohort Discussion
6:30pm- Wrap Up & Adjourn
For more information about the Kansas City program, please contact either Donna McDaniel, Kauffman Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-940-9930 or Brian Crouse, Missouri Chamber Foundation, at email@example.com or (573)634-3511.