Cape Girardeau Show-Me Careers Educator Experience
Show-Me Careers is a five-day career professional development boot camp for educators, counselors and administrators to learn firsthand about relevant career pathways in today’s business and industry settings. The program provides a unique, hands-on learning experience inside local employers. Through these externship experiences, education professionals gain a more robust understanding of the technical skills, behaviors and mindsets students need to be successful in today’s professional environments.
Piloted in St. Louis in 2018, Show Me Careers is expanding to Cape Girardeau in 2020 through partnership with the Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce.
Goals and Objectives
The objective of Show-Me Careers is to expose Southeast Missouri-area students to good career opportunities by bringing influential middle and high school educators, counselors and administrators into advanced manufacturing, health care systems, transportation and logistics and other targeted industries where shortages can be identified. The initiative assists education professionals in producing lesson plans that can be presented to students following the program during the subsequent school year. By providing this experience to educators, counselors and administrators each year, the program aims to reach thousands of students annually with new career opportunities that will help narrow the skills gap.
2020 Southeast Missouri Program: June 8-12, 2020, Cape Girardeau
- Up to 30 educators, school counselors and administrators will be selected to participate throughout the Southeast Missouri region
- A stipend of $400 will be provided to each professional that completes the program
- All materials, meals and travel to the industry partners will be provided to the participants as part of the program
- Partner school districts agree to participate by Dec 15, 2019.
- Individual applications are due March 15, 2020.
- Participant feedback on the overarching program framework, curriculum and overall experience will be sought to help improve future programs.
- Take part in an interactive peer-to-peer “Catalyst Connectors” for future collaboration four times during the 2020-2021 school year.
Catalyst Connections Year 1 (2020) SEMO Cohort details
Wednesday, September 16, 2020
Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Wednesday, February 17, 2021
The below is the basic framework for each connector meeting, but it will change slightly based upon host location.
4:00pm- Welcome and Networking
4:30pm- Tour Facility, Presentations and/or Activities
6:00pm- Dedicated Cohort Discussion
6:30pm- Wrap Up & Adjourn
For more information please contact either Brian Crouse, Missouri Chamber Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (573)634-3511 or Kim Voelker, Cape Girardeau Area Chamber of Commerce, at email@example.com or (573)335-3312.
Supporting SEMO business partners
SEMO Community Collaborators
SEMO School Partners
Cape Girardeau Public Schools
Cape Girardeau Career & Technology Center