Leadership in Practice
Westminster College campus
June 23-26, 2019
(Note: Application & recommendation materials do not need to be submitted simultaneously)
Applications & Resources
Sponsorship & Opportunities
Sponsor Leadership in Practice
Leadership in Practice Scholarship
Engage, Inspire, Lead!
The best way to develop leadership skills is to practice, practice, practice. For four days each June, that’s exactly what Missouri’s brightest freshmen and sophomore student leaders do in Leadership in Practice — a hands-on program that imparts real world knowledge to help Missouri’s youth engage, inspire and lead.
Students from around the state — from rural, suburban and urban schools — come together to work as a team to solve real world problems in a fun, engaging environment. The program is set amidst the beautiful backdrop of historic Westminster College, where principles of leadership were formed in 1946 when Sir. Winston Churchill delivered the famous “Iron Curtain” speech.
Leadership in Practice is designed to provide young people with the opportunity to learn the characteristics of leadership and professionalism so they can directly apply those skills in their own lives when they return to their schools and communities. Learn how to apply for our 2019 program.
The program includes:
- Presentations by top business and civic leaders
- Challenging simulations and activities
- Small group discussions
- Strong focus on personal growth
The program covers five focus areas:
- Global leadership
- Civic leadership
- Economic leadership
- Ethical leadership
- Personal leadership
Past speakers include:
- Colonel Sandra Karsten, Commandant, Missouri State Highway Patrol
- Warren Erdman, Executive Vice President- Adm. & Corporate Affairs, Kansas City Southern
- Ken Hussey, Director of Leadership and Civic Engagement, Missouri State Alliance of YMCA’s
- David Roehl, Executive Vice President, Central Bank
- Kat Cunningham, President, MoreSource, Inc.
- Gus Wagner, President, The Rocket Group
- Clyde Lear, President, Learfield Communications
- Bruce Skinner, Asst. Vice President, Student Success, Southeast Missouri State University
- Danny White, CEO, Lead with Liberty & Retired LTC US Marines
- Dr. Kurt Jefferson, Director, Churchill Institute for Global Engagement, Westminster College
- Nathan Mc Kie, President, Navigator Consulting, Inc.
- Jeff Frazier, President, Cellular Today
- Kathryn Ragsdale, Corporate Affairs Manager, Toyota North America
- Dr. Fletch Lampkin, President, Westminster College
- Rep. Travis Fitzwater, Missouri House of Representatives (Dist. 49)
- SFC Dan Thompson, MO ARMY National Guard
For more information contact Lindsey Kelly, or by phone at 573.634.3511.